Ontarians for a Just Accountable Mining Strategy (OJAMS) is made of people from diverse communities and interests in Ontario that want to see a mineral strategy that:
• Sustains the environment and the resources for future generations,
• Protects the public from the risks associated with mining, smelting and refining,
• Heals the damage already caused by the industry
• Captures a fair share of the revenues generated by the industry for Ontarians and First Nations, and
• Respects the rights of First Nations to free, prior, informed consent to development on their lands.
Ontarians for a Just Accountable Mineral Strategy has sprung from our outrage that, despite more than ten years of broadly-based advocacy, despite reports from the Auditor-General and the Environmental Commissioner of Ontario supporting the need for change, the new proposals for a Mineral Development Strategy for Ontario are worse than they were in 2006.